Data Engineer – Toronto & Edmonton
What’s the opportunity?
Borealis AI is a team of researchers and developers dedicated to solving today’s leading problems in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Our researchers are dedicated to pushing the boundaries of theoretical and applied science, while our development team transforms state-of-the-art technologies and algorithms into impactful products with the potential to reach millions of people.
As a Data Engineer, you’ll focus on transforming messy, unstructured data into clean, structured datasets ready for use in machine learning applications. You’ll work collaboratively with Machine Learning Developers and Researchers to understand how data must be structured, then create scripts to extract, load and transform raw data. On any given day, you may be involved in a broad set of tasks that range from working with distributed systems and creating data monitoring services to writing an API for developer access. If thinking about the potential of artificial intelligence excites you, join us in pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing technical expertise and assistance with the Extraction, Loading and Transformation of massive, unstructured datasets.
- Rapidly prototyping data collection tools for the quick creation of labelled datasets.
- Developing machine learning products, algorithms and intelligence to solve impactful financial and business problems.
- Supporting assigned projects with thorough documentation of usage, design decisions and capabilities.
- Demoing results and findings to various internal and external business stakeholders.
You’re our ideal candidate if you:
- Have a post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent.
- Love to geek out about technology and can’t wait to create massive impact.
- Experience with writing modular, robust, scalable software in Python 3.x.
- Comfortable working with a variety of SQL, NoSQL and graph databases like PostgreSQL, OrientDB and MongoDB.
- Excellent knowledge and industry experience with distributed computing technologies like Hadoop, Spark, HBase and Hive.
- Experience with data pipeline integration using cloud platforms like AWS and Azure.
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting.
- Experience with data visualization using D3.js, plotly or other open-source libraries.
- Exposure to Deep Learning packages such as Tensorflow, Theano, Keras and PyTorch.
How to apply:
Please email your CV and GitHub (or equivalent) portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org and don’t forget to include how you heard about this opportunity.
What’s in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI is the Research & Development arm of the Royal Bank of Canada. Our team performs fundamental research in machine learning theory and applications and aims to advance the state-of-the-art in financial technologies. Borealis AI supports open academic collaborations and partners with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence to bring cutting-edge machine learning to the banking world and beyond.